What is it?
The one-day Business Fair is an opportunity for youth to develop a product or service, build a marketing strategy and then open for customers at our one-day marketplace.
How do I apply?
Click 'Apply' in the menu above to access our online application form. You may also download the application here, and drop it off at the Chamber Office. Use our contact link above if you have any further questions. Be sure to apply soon, as we will only be able to accept 50 businesses.
Who may apply?
Children ages 8 - 17 (at the time of the fair). The competition will be divided into four different age groups:
- 8 yr - 10 yr
- 11 yr - 13 yr
- 14 yr - 15 yr
- 16 yr - 17 yr
The application deadline is September 13, 2019.
NOTE: If you have a group working together, they will be put into the age group of the oldest participating member.
What are the rules?
- Children must be between 8 - 17 years of age on or before the application due date.
- Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult or guardian at all times.
- Up to three children may work on a single business, but only one application per business, please. Children must do as much of the work as possible by themselves. This includes setup, sales and interacting with customers. If a parent is seen selling products for a child, the business will be disqualified from winning any prize money and face possible disqualification from the competition.
- Our office will take care to limit the number of businesses in specific categories so as not to have too many similar business concepts. Similar concept booths will be held to a 2 booth limit.
- Inappropriate content, including but not limited to profanity, vulgarity, excessive violence, drug and alcohol use, or material considered offensive to any religious or ethnic groups, gender or physically or mentally challenged persons will NOT be permitted.
We reserve the right to deny any entry.
If selling food items, only small individually wrapped single-servings, are allowed. Items such as: snack bars, crackers, or candy bars are permitted. Cupcakes, cookies, and other similar items are also permitted if they are individually wrapped\bagged. Please use the contact link above if you have a food item in mind and are unsure if it will be allowed or not.
Beverage items will be considered on a case by case basis. Approval for beverage items will be required.
Businesses requiring electricity will have access based on availability, as well as need.
All award decisions are FINAL.
This event is designed to give children a taste of creating and selling their own products. Please let them have that experience.
Will there be prizes?
Cash prizes of $50 will be awarded in each age group (to be divided between participants in each booth) in the following categories:
- Most Business Potential
- Most Creative Idea
- Most Impressive Presentation
The Luling Chamber of Commerce has teamed up with Moolah University, so that we can offer one Grand Prize Scholarship to the top participant in each age group. This Grand Prize will be a week long camp to Moolah - U!
This kids' business camp is the most exciting and hands-on way to get kids “Money Smart“. In just one week, they will create a real business, make a real product, and sell it for real money. And they get to KEEP the money they make! The exciting experience gives them a tangible perspective of how money works and the true value of how to use it to make more money (rather than just spending it all!)
When will the business fair be held?
- Saturday, September 28, 2019
- From 10AM - 2PM
Where will the business fair be held?
- Watermelon Thump Pavilion
- 319 E Davis St, Luling, TX 78648